Thursday, July 9, 2015

Lemon Soap


This was my first attempt at making soap. I decided to start by making soap with the Melt and Pour Soap Base purchased from a local craft store.

Original source: http://apumpkinandaprincess.com/2013/05/homemade-lemon-soap-mothers-day-gift-ideas.html

Here are her instructions with my personal notes added. I will be making this again. It is easy, smells great and cleans well. I shared bars with 2 other people and they both loved it too!

Supplies:
1 1/2 cups Goats Milk Soap Base, cubed
4-6 drops Lemon Essential Oil (PK: use more)
Dried Lemon zest of 3-4 lemons (PK: I used 3)

Step one:
Cut soap into cubes and microwave in 30 second intervals (I like to use a large Pyrex measuring cup to melt the soap in). This recipe makes 3 or 4 bars of soap and I used about 15 cubes (PK: I used 13 cubes) of goat’s milk soap base.
Step two:
Melt soap for about a minute. Add another 15-30 seconds if it’s not completely melted. (PK: I started 30 secs. On high, then rest of time on power 7)
Step three:
Once soap cubes have liquified add a few drops of the lemon essential oil and the lemon zest; stir well.

PK: If using heat-sensitive molds, test temperature of liquid (use candy thermometer) to be sure it is not too hot (needs to be less than 150 degrees)

Step four:
Pour into soap molds and allow to harden for at least one hour. Press mold to release soap.

***Update: For longer lasting soap omit the lemon zest and use yellow soap dye for color (if desired). The essential oil will provide enough lemon scent without the lemon zest.

No comments: