Monday, March 9, 2020

Homemade Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe


 This recipe has been in my family for well over 50 years. 
I remember as a young girl having the ice cream and how delicious it was.
Amazingly enough, I am not sure I ever made it until recently.
The recipe calls for 1/2 of a stick peppermint (5 cent) crushed. 
When I saw this peppermint stick at Dollar Store this past Christmas (for 50 cents)
I decided to grab one and make the ice cream. 
This stick is 9" long and 3/4" in diameter.
I believe the peppermint stick back in the 50's was even fatter,
because I started off using just half of it and decided 
I needed to use the entire stick to really taste the peppermint. 

OK, so here it is early March and I just made it. 
Time can get away from us, you know?

So here is the original recipe and the changes I made:

Peppermint Ice Cream

14 Marshmallows, the regular size
1 1/2 c. Whole Milk
1/2 pint Whipping Cream (I used 4 oz. of whipped topping instead, like Cool Whip)
1/2 Stick Peppermint (5 cent) crushed (I used all of the (9" x 3/4" stick, 3.5 oz.)

Melt over low/medium heat all except the whipping cream. Cool and allow to freeze to mushy state. Whip the cream or use the whipped topping and fold into the rest. Return to freezer until firm. 

This recipe is soooo easy and incredibly creamy smooth and delicious!
Maybe you still have some candy canes left over from Christmas
(they keep for a long time!) and you can try this.

Bye for now.

No comments: