Monday, March 17, 2014

magicJack Plus Product Review

Here is my review of the magicJack Plus system and shed some light on things others have not disclosed to you.
I got the magicJack voice over IP system on a 30-day trial, which I highly recommend. The equipment comes with everything (for the most part) you need to set up with either the direct PC connection with USB or connecting to your router or modem. For my situation, I decided to do the setup, which did not require a PC to be online. This meant I would connect the Ethernet cable to my router.
If you have more than one phone in your residence, you can use a simple 2 to 1 phone line adaptor, which is NOT included, connecting the magicJack to 1 input and 1 of your phones to the other input. Then plug it into the phone wall jack. Now ALL the phones in your house will work, not just one ~ so cool!
Setting up the equipment was a breeze and registration was easy too, though you will be hit with a barrage of up-sells. If you choose to keep a current number, then there is an upfront fee of just under $20 with an additional fee just under $10 per year. I opted for no additional up-sells because I knew I could later re-up on the website for the same costs.

After I registered and selected my phone number, which was partially assigned, I found the number worked right away! VERY impressive! The call quality was VERY good, no complaints at all about that. With this system you do have to dial the area code on ALL calls, even if it matches your personal number.

The magicJack caller ID will only list an incoming number, no name associated with it.

On the website, in 2011, they mention working on compatibility with security systems. In testing my unit, I discovered it was NOT compatible with my security system even though I previously had a voip system from a local provider. Not sure what the difference is, but in a live chat with magicJack support, they verified that the system does not work with security systems. It is my understanding that some security systems use a wireless communication so the magicJack system may work fine for those. I’m pretty sure magicJack also doesn’t work with satellite internet systems. Please do more research on this if you have satellite internet.

After I registered, I received an email suggesting I pay a fee of $3.18 to be sure when I called 911 for emergencies, that my new phone number was associated with my current address. I decided to go ahead and pay for this service, after which I was given verification of completion of this re-assignment. However, 8 days later, I had a need to call 911 in a medical emergency. I was disappointed to discover they DID NOT have my address associated with the magicJack number I was calling from. In hindsight, I can see there was no need for me to pay this additional charge, which was not effective anyway. Instead, you simply should call the 911 operators, declare you are not in an emergency situation, and give them your current phone number and address association.

I decided to return the unit while still inside the trial period. To do this, you simply log into their site using the login information you got from the setup, go to Support, then look for Returns. After completing the short form, you will be issued an RMA code. This will also be sent in email, which you print out and include with the magicJack equipment you are returning. Again, this was a very easy process.

Be sure to notify your 911 service again for updated information, if you do go back to a prior number.

Also to note that if you have package pricing on your home services, which included a home phone then expect the other services to increase in price if you cancel your phone in switching to magicJack.

I hope you found this information helpful. This is only information based on my personal experience and I do not guarantee that your experience will be identical to mine and I have no control over how set up or connectivity may change in the future.

Overall, I think the magicJack Plus system is a great value and very good product.

No comments: